Thursday, June 21, 2012

Getting Through a Full School Day

Today was a day that felt like the beginning of a routine in the best way possible. I woke up, got dressed and such, went to the C-Store for my Disney yogurt, and then met up with my classmates to walk to the Russian Building for Chinese class at 9AM.

In class, we started with a review then a dictation. In the dictation, Zhang Laoshi read us 10 different syllables, and we had to write the pinyin of the correct initial, final, and tonal sounds. I did pretty well, but it was good that this was a practice; now I know what to expect, how best to study, and where I need to improve. I got one of the initial-finals wrong and two of the tones. She gave us mirrors today so we could look at our mouth shapes and muscle usage to see how to position ourselves to correctly pronounce the sounds. We finished the groupings of syllables, then played a game to put it all together. We finished by learning to write the characters for "sorry" and how to type in Microsoft Word in Chinese.

Our class managed to walk from the Russian Building to Building 3 correctly today, and we had Japanese food for lunch. Mine was chicken and vegetables with sauce over rice, but there were also vegetarian, beef, pork, and combination. We have a short meeting during lunch where Gu Laoshi updates us on the goings on, and we finalized plans for the next couple days. Tomorrow is a holiday, so we have a special day planned, which I will write about tomorrow.

After the meeting, I came back to my room for a break, then had Public Health class at 2:00. The professor is an MD PhD and the head of the department of Social Medicine at BeiDa. He did a lecture on public health concerns and reforms in China. He compared China to the US and Japan a lot, particularly in relation to swine flu response and income to cost of living ratio. It was a lot of things I already knew with the statistical numbers filled in, but it was taught in a very Chinese way, and I can only describe it that way based on how it was unique compared to teaching in the US along the lines of what I've been experiencing here.

Once classes were done for the day, I got to take another break before dinner. I met a group at 6:00, and we ended up at the same restaurant that I was at last night. I was the only one who had been there before, so it was kind of cool to know what the food would be even though I could neither communicate nor read. I also successfully used a public restroom for the first time on this trip, so that was a good milestone to have passed. We ate hot pot with clear and curry broths, lamb, beef, tofu, potato, mushroom, fish ball, cabbage, and spinach. It was just as good the second night.

After dinner, the group went underground from where the restaurant was to go to the arcade. It was really fun! There were all types of games, from the classic basketball and claw games to Plants vs. Zombies, Fruit Ninja, and a variation of DDR that had the foot pads in an X and incorporated arm movements by using a motion sensing camera. I won 276 tickets on my own, but nobody else wanted theirs, so I ended up with a total of 528 tickets. To redeem them, we needed a card, but we didn't know how to get a card, but then one of the guys said, "oh, this card?" and whips one out of his pocket. Since 528 tickets could get me a pencil, I kept the card and will add tickets the next time I go.

I've been feeling kind of like a toddler in my helplessness to communicate. I joke that I am illiterate, but in Chinese, I am. While I know I'm learning, it's still hard for me to be so dependent on my friends who do know Chinese. Though, today the language started sounding less foreign.

Today is awesome because the arcade was really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment