Monday, August 13, 2012

August 12: My 36-Hour Day

I'm home!! It's really great to be back. I really missed my family, and my bed is so fluffy, and I drove a car today, and I don't feel like traffic is going to kill me. I had a great time, and now I'm very happy to be home.

For me, August 12 was a 36-hour day because it started in China and ended in the US Eastern Time Zone. Using Eastern Time to standardize, my day started at noon on Saturday and ended at midnight on Sunday. Yay time travel?

I got up at 5AM, finished my preparations, skyped home, then went on the bus to the airport. My trip had a few parallels one the homecoming flight as it did on the outgoing flight. I had an overweight bag (this time I just paid the fee; I literally had nowhere to put the things), I got iced coffee, I had some time to sit before my flight. I didn't sleep on my flight from Beijing because I was seated near the bathroom and the traffic kept me up. I journaled about the flight, and I don't have much else to say here. I finished watching LOST, and I liked the ending (controversial, I know, but the writers ended the story).

My connection in San Francisco was terrible. I had less than an hour to get to my flight. Customs was easy, but it took a long time to pick up my bag for re-checking, and then I had to go through security again, and that took a long time. I even asked and was allowed to move past the group of Texas A&M students who were also returning from China; they were kind. It was stressful, but I made it to the plane, and then I slept for 2 or 3 of the 4.5 hours of that flight. The people across the aisle from me were alumni of my university, and one of them even lived in Beijing for a few years in the area where I was, so that was a cool connection to have.

My parents were waiting for me right where I came out from the airport gates. It was wonderful to see them. We picked up my bags and went home, where I unpacked everything, ate dinner (my mom cooked), showered, then went to sleep. It was a fantastic end to an endless day.

Travel day was awesome because it ended up at home!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment