Friday, August 17, 2012

Reassimilating

My reassimilation to the US began on the plane. The first big thing that came back to me was on the flight from Beijing. I got a Diet Coke from the first drink service, and it was a Chinese can. I figured all the sodas were Chinese, so on a later drink service, I got Coke Zero, but it was an American can. I prefer American Diet Coke and Chinese Coke Zero, so I always got the inferior soda, but in China the tab on the can is rectangular or oblong, whereas in America it is very rounded. It's just different; neither good nor bad, but I got used to the other shape.

The next big one was on my descent in my hometown when I looked at the highway and did not see the ridiculous traffic that is always in Beijing. I then almost said "duibuqi" instead of "sorry" when I bumped into someone at baggage claim.

My first day at home was pretty relaxed and easy. I woke up at 6 or 6:30, lounged around til 10, then I walked to the drugstore (I really missed drugstores!!!) to pick up a prescription, retainer cleaner, and replenish my makeup supply which I entirely expired in China. I had lunch, then bought a pair of sneakers, followed by visits to both of my grandmothers. I ended my day with a Tae Kwon Do class, and it was fantastic. I was so happy to see my family and friends, and to be using my American phone again. I did a lot of texting to make plans for my weeks at home. Things feel really normal here, and I like that so far.

Tuesday was an early wake up, relaxing morning, trip to the gym, revisiting the local grocery store, seeing one of my high school BFFs, and going to Tae Kwon Do. I think the big reassimilation thing was the grocery store because I could identify everything and read all the packages. Stores are so much more intimidating in China. I really appreciate the softness, thickness, and plushness of my bed and towels here. My bed at Bei Da was a rock in comparison, and my towel very thin. Not things that were bad and uncomfortable, but here it is significantly more comfortable. I got to break a board and really feel at home in my group at TKD tonight, so it left me feeling very happy. I am getting confused between Korean numbers and Chinese numbers becasue there is crossover in pronunciation, but the numbers with the same pronunciation are different values (yi=1 in Chinese, 2 in Korean).

Wednesday and Thursday were uneventful, but I noticed that I got used to reacting to Chinese traffic patterns, so I'm surprised every time a car stops for me.  In the US, traffic is mostly because there are such frequent stop signs and traffic lights, not necessarily the number of cars like it is in China. In China, there are too many cars and too few rules. The cars go whenever and wherever they can, the buses don't stop for anything or anyone, the bikes go where the cars can't, and the people go wherever they please; it's kind of insane, and it's so different to be in such an orderly traffic pattern again.

On Friday I found the apples my mom bought for me (they're my favorite kind, Pink Lady), and they were normal size. There is such rampant use of hormones and growth enhancers in China that no fruit is normal size, and even though it's big it doesn't even taste that good. This apple was delicious.

The overall thing is that I'm finding so many moments when I want to say, "This time in China..." or "In China they..." and I really accumulated a lot of stories and experiences!

Today is awesome because I've been appreciating the comforts of being home.

No comments:

Post a Comment