Monday, July 9, 2012

Surprise Field Trip and Spontaneous TCM

Today I had Chinese class and a surprise field trip for public health. In Chinese, we went over the vocab for the final chapter of the textbook that we will be covering and wrapped up before tomorrow's "quiz" wihc is actually our midterm. I had 160 characters to learn for thi stest (that's the vocab from just three weeks of class), and I knew half of it before I started studying in earnest, so that was good. It was just more than a tad overwhelming to have to learn another 80 in time for tomorrow's test, but it's going to be just fine.

At lunch, Gu Laoshi informed us that we were leaving at 1:30 for our last site visit. We went to a district CDC that reminded me of a US public high school like the ones that hosted my speech tournaments, then a gorgeous township community health center that was essentially a smaller, less crowded, more calm version of the big public hospital we saw, then a very small community primary care clinic that was the opposite of the township hospital. We were given VIP treatment when we arrived at the centers, being taken straight to the conference room, served tea and fruit, and spoken to by the heads of the centers. Being placed in such a privileged status made me self-conscious because of where we were; the lack of privilege in the area was very noticeable, and I did not want to call attention to myself in that way.

The spontaneous TCM was at the township center. We passed through the clinic, and everyone was so interested that they offered to let us try one of the treatments. They heat glass jars and place them on the skin and the heat gradient causes a suction to happen, which coupled with a massage relieves tension. It was really cool to see and the people who tried it say it was good and worked. I was curous if it would help with the scar tissue from when I broke my hand last October, so I tried one on my wrist, and while I'm not sure it helped, it certainly did not hurt. It was really cool to experience that, and I'm more excited than ever for the TCM class next week!

After a quick dinner of baozi, I hit the books to finish learning my characters for the test tomorrow. I will finally successfully go to bed early! Or at least earlier than I have been :)

Today is awesome because by Chinese teacher said I'm good at learning the language.

No comments:

Post a Comment